“We want Irving Magnet to be a school for the 21st Century. The Glassell Park community deserves it.”
Kirk Roskam, Principal
Irving's Head of School
- Under Mr. Roskam’s leadership, we have used achievement data to identify needed improvements in the English and Mathematics curriculum.
- In order to improve math achievement, he has brought in Partners in Algebra.
- As a result, Periodic Assessment scores for math have improved, dramatically.
- We are continuing to strengthen and improve our English program.
- Our intervention programs provide extended learning time through summer school, before and after-school tutoring, and even Saturday school.
- Establishing new Math & English Language Arts Learning Centers.
- Increasing enrollment of gifted students.
- Works in progress are: a STEM Lab, Design Studio, state of the art Computer Lab, CMA Lab and technological upgrades to the auditorium.
School Safety and Attendance
- Our Principal instituted a discipline policy to reduce counseling office referrals.
- Tardy and suspension rates have been reduced.
- The daily attendance rate climbed to over 96% and Irving Magnet School recently received a prestigious award from the District.
- He has formed partnerships with Aztec Rising, as well as Children’s Hospital, to prevent gang activity on our campus.
- He has formed a safety committee to respond promptly to any school safety issues.
- He has an open door policy for the parents and staff, and regularly tours Glassell Park to understand and listen to the concerns of parents and the community at large.
- Mr. Roskam, along with the greater Irving Community, has transformed this school into an all inclusive Advanced Math, Music, and Engineering Magnet.
- Irving received a Federal STEAM grant along with four other schools in Los Angeles. Irving will have approximately an additional 1.8 million to build a STEAM school on our campus. We are of course very excited.
- Irving would then become a STEAM school incorporating Science, Technology, English, Art, and Music into our curriculum.
- He has made a concerted effort to attract the best teachers to this school.
- He helped to encourage the creation of Friends of Irving, a parent-run organization that encourages local businesses to donate additional funds to our school.
- Over his two-year tenure, our Principal, Mr. Kirk Roskam, has begun a dramatic clean-up of the school grounds, and buildings.
- Through Leadership Matters, he brought the United Way & over 800 volunteers to help beautify Irving’s surroundings: new landscaping, painting, classroom clean-up, and picnic tables were a result of this service day.
- He has begun the process of painting & redesigning the interior of our school to make it more attractive and efficient.
- He is in the process of creating inspirational educational murals and sculptures on the campus.